Il Master in Sports Management and Marketing (EBI) è la trasformazione in Master Universitario di un Corso di Alta Formazione dell’Università Ca’ Foscari, in collaborazione con Euroleague Basketball la cui prima edizione è stata effettuata nel 2007.
La richiesta di progettare ed erogare un corso Master proviene direttamente dal mondo del business dello sport che richiede sempre maggiore professionalità gestionale e in particolare da Euroleague Basketball, la quale ha avvertito la necessità di aumentare la professionalità dei manager delle società sportive europee sui temi del marketing e della comunicazione, ma riguarda tutti gli sport.
Il Master in Sports Management and Marketing rappresenta una soluzione di formazione e apprendimento innovativi in modalità e-learning, che permette la qualità e la flessibilità necessaria per consentire la partecipazione di allievi di paesi diversi e di allievi che già lavorano.
Si affrontano i temi della gestione e del marketing delle aziende sportive e i temi del marketing delle aziende che producono prodotti e servizi per lo sport, comprese le agenzie di comunicazione.
Il corso, in lingua inglese, si propone di mettere in grado gli allievi di apprendere e utilizzare i metodi e gli strumenti di analisi del mercato e di pianificazione delle attività di marketing delle società sportive e delle imprese che producono beni e servizi per lo sport, in un contesto di forte internazionalizzazione.
The Master program aims at preparing and training four kinds of professionals and
- Marketing manager of a sport club, being therefore responsible for all customer-related and marketing activities of the club, the management of all merchandising and licensing actions, including the distribution of all products; this professional is also likely to be responsible for the management of the sports brand and its value on the international market.
- Communication manager of a sport club, being therefore in charge of managing all communication activities along with customers, media and stakeholders; this professional will be also able to manage all interactions with media and sponsors, take care of the Web communication as well as of any virtual community associated to the club itself.
- Sport arena and event manager, i.e. a professional being responsible for the organization, promotion and control of any sport event as well as for the commercial management of sport arenas during sport events as well as in conditions of ordinary routine.
- Marketing manager of a company providing sports-related stuff and products, being therefore expected to tackle with all communication and sponsorship relations – as well as additional business interactions – to be developed along with sport clubs; such a professional will be also able to take over all responsibilities descending from marketing actions being implemented for sports-related products. Such professionals are likely to be employed and find their right collocation in private companies and/or sport clubs.
Why to set up this Master program:
The sport business has been expressively asking for planning and establishing such a kind of Master program, as there is a real lack of professionals to be introduced in such a specific business area. The Euroleague Basketball, which currently stands out as the most professional league all over Europe, played also a key role in fostering the establishment of that training program. Starting from its own activities and experience, Euroleague Basketball realized the absolute need to improve the professionalism of those managers that are responsible for marketing and communication in their respective sport clubs. That same concern descends also from the European Volleyball Federation. As the course was successfully carried out for three years in a row, the organizers came very often in touch with other European leagues and sport clubs competing in football, tennis, baseball and rugby that expressed their wish to fulfill that same goal, i.e. to improve the professionalism of their own marketing and communication managers. The Master program is therefore not specifically conceived for the Italian labor market, but actually for an international – and namely European – environment.
To be eligible to enroll, applicants have to have completed a “Laurea” (1st cycle university degree) or a degree obtained under the old Italian university system (prior to the one introduced by the Italian Ministerial Decree No. 509 of 3 November 1999, modified by the Italian Ministerial Decree No. 270 of 22 October 2004), or an equivalent degree obtained abroad in European or non European countries. Applicants are also expected to be fluent in English and dispose of good informatics skills.
Having fulfilled the above mentioned pre-requirements, both Italian and foreign students are to be admitted to the program.
I profili professionali che il Master in Sports Management and Marketing mira a formare sono quattro: marketing manager di società sportiva; communication manager di società sportiva; sport arena ed event manager; marketing manager di azienda di prodotti per lo sport. Si sottolinea che il mercato di lavoro di riferimento e il bisogno formativo sono relativi al contesto internazionale e in particolare europeo e non unicamente italiano. Gli studenti italiani hanno rappresentato finora il 10% degli iscritti. Il corso ha una caratterizzazione fortemente internazionale.
The Master in Sports Management and Marketing is conceived as an online and offline e-learning program that employs a series of different tuition tools such as theoretical lessons, case studies, researches and individual or common project works, simulations and action learning. Three “traditional” academic sessions are also foreseen and will be held in three different European cities.
- The tuition program will start off with a first series of classes that will be spread over 4 days and will be dealing with the following topics: general introduction to the Master program, tools and methodologies to become familiar with for the e-learning process, team building. The e-learning will then proceed for a series of 28 weeks in a row; twice a week tutors will be available online on a real time basis to assist the students who will also have to pass a test specifically conceived to verify their ongoing learning.
- There will be then a second series of classes to last for 4 days and focusing on these subjects: management of major sport events; relevant scenarios and developments affecting the sport business; interaction with the media; arena marketing. At that stage students will have also the chance to attend a major sport event.
- A third section featuring 19 more weeks of e-learning and 8 additional weeks specifically devoted to the preparation and development of a marketing plan will follow; for that activity students will benefit of the assistance descending from their tutors and teachers. The Master program will come to an end with the final examinations to be staged over 4 days and diplomas will be handed over during the official ceremony.
Starting from the tenth week of tuition all students will be able to start up their stage
in a sport club.
Module 1 General Management;
Contents: General Management for sport business.
Objective: to provide students with basic tools and knowledge to be able to
evaluate all economic, financial and organizational issues descending from
sports-related marketing strategies and to manage human resources in sport
Module 2 Marketing Management
Contents: Marketing management for sport business
Objective: to provide students with some basic knowledge about general
marketing management and a tuition addressing more specifically sports
marketing, with some hints devoted to the management of sport arenas and
Module 3 Web Marketing and communication
Contents: Web Marketing and communication
Objective: to provide students with a good knowledge of the various
marketing tools to be implemented on the Internet, including an in-depth
analysis of the various topics dealing with the e-commerce and the social web
Module 4 Marketing Planning
Contents: Marketing Planning
Objective: to provide students with the methodology as well as the tools that
are necessary to work out a marketing and communication plan specifically
conceived for the sport business.
Module 5 Marketing communication
Contents: Marketing communication in sport business
Objective: to examine thoroughly all strategies and marketing communications
techniques to be applied to the sport business, including the interaction with
Module 6: Media Relationship and management
Contents: Media relationship and management
Objective: to analyze the kind of interaction existing between sport and media,
in terms of communications as well as brand image, but also of the business
relations descending from selling TV rights associated to sport events.